As the rise of pollution was on high due to the higher amount of usage of vehicles and transportation. In the 1990s, California passed a countermeasure effective policies. The policies led EVs to fail miserably in the 1990s.
Or laws for the call manufacturer to address such issues by selling cars. With ZEV mandate if they want it to be sold in California.
Due to the following reasons, the electric vehicle failed to see the success which Elon Musk. It compensated and turned it into an ambitious and environmentally friendly project: –
- EVs are with a limitation: – The limited range offered by EVs which were mostly 60-100 miles. As compared to 300 or more miles from gasoline-powered vehicles. With long charging capability till eight or more hours with higher costs. The cost of an EV is cited as more expensive by 40%. Compare to gasoline cars. And limited space for cargo in many of the EVs.
- Gasoline is cheap: – The fuel or operation cost of cars is insignificant. As compared to the investment made by an EV owner to buy an electric vehicle.
- Consumers: – The attraction towards large sports utility vehicles (SUVs). And pickup trucks are considered to be safe. And convenient with other functions. Large SUVs were preferred over smaller efficient vehicles. Due to the low gasoline prices.
- Car companies: – Investment or the spending of billions of dollars in research, development. And deployment in EVs didn’t result in a well-reciprocated value from the consumers. Or the customers. Car manufacturers lost money to sell EVS.
- EV maintenance: – Servicing or maintenance of EVs were also additional burdens. By the car dealerships where the liability was a concern with EVs. Not have enough guarantee for EVs to safer than gasoline vehicles.
- Gas companies: – A major threat to the gas companies. Or dealers was the presence of the electric vehicle. Lobbying was one of the key factors by cars and gasoline companies from the federal government. To drop the idea of EVs leading to the disappearance of EVs.
- Government: – Hydrogen vehicles were preferred more than electric vehicles. And a mandate was published at the last moment.
- Battery technology: – It was not advanced. Or the right battery to be used in the vehicles. The wrong choice of lead-acid batteries which were large and heavy. And with a long time needed to charge the vehicle was also a downfall for the selection of such batteries.
- Infrastructure:- It is something a concern or a problem till now. And can be observed. Or seen that battery recharging is trouble.
In my opinion, for any new ideas or concept, you will have to face the challenge. And hurdles to perish completely. Becoming a threat to some other industries whose profit, revenue.
Or earning is depending on the conventional way of transportation. However, if you want to leave a better life with modern. And advanced technologies.
You need to cultivate the trust and belief within yourself to challenges those difficulties. To make the concept valid enough to fight against the odds. And create a better future for yourself. And to the whole mankind.
The electric vehicle is no doubt a gift in the society for revolutionising the transportation industry. And use the knowledge of science to push ourselves more in the direction. And bring a worthy outcome.