Each of the powerhouse countries is targeting digitalization in their manufacturing process. The advanced technology is not just reducing the overall cost but also successful end-to-end support to the supply chain system.
The initiatives taken by the various countries to promote manufacturing digitalization are:-
- France- The country launched an inititiative in 2013 for New Industrial France. As per the policy, the country is planning for 34 new industrial projects that includes next-generation high-speed trains, electric aircraft, autonomous cars, smart textile, factories of the future, battery power, embedded software and systems, satellite electric propulsion, green chemistry and biofuels, cloud computing, nano-electronics, augmented reality, robotics and connected devices, etc.
- Germany- Industry 4.0 launched in 2013, one of the 10 “Future Projects” under the German government, a part of High-Tech Strategy 2020. The aim of Industry 4.0 is creating smart factories and manufacturing innovation centers across the countries. The strategy to shift from centralized to decentralized smart manufacturing and production.
- U.S. – The National Network for Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI) launched in 2016, results in 45 innovation centers across the country. The aim is developing smart manufacturing technologies with foces area in additive manufacturing, lightweight materials manufacturing and integrated photonics development.
- Japan- The country launched Society 5.0 in 2016, focusing on the development solutions in IoT, AI, Cyber-physical systems (CPS), additive manufacturing, new energy vehicles, robots, virtual and augmented reality and data analytics. Drone deliveries in urban areas.
- China- Made in China aims in creating 40 manufacturing innovation centers 40 by 2025. The focus areas are automated machine tools, robotics, new advanced information technology, aerospace and aeronautical equipment, maritime equipment and high-tech shipping, modern rail transport equipment, new-energy vehicles and equipment, power equipment, agricultural equipment, new materials and biopharma and advanced medical products.
As per the cipher.ai report, the countries, Mainland China, the U.S., Japan, South Korea, and Germany hold the maximum number of patents.