“France will be carbon neutral by 2050. It’s a huge challenge, but it’s vital for the future of our planet.” – French President Emmanuel Macron
Despite being a sustainability leader in several fields, France still has certain difficulties attaining sustainable development.
On the plus side, France has set high objectives for renewable energy, sustainable transportation, and biodiversity protection. The nation is renowned for its stunning protected regions and national parks and also has a long history of practicing sustainable agriculture.
Cities in France are also progressively implementing sustainable development strategies, with an emphasis on lowering pollution, fostering active transportation, and protecting green areas.
However, the country needs to focus on reducing its dependency on nuclear energy, and greenhouse gas emissions and improving air quality. The country is struggling to meet the EU recycling targets and facing challenges in sustainable waste management.
The key initiatives and policies by France in the sustainability sector:-
- Renewable energy: A goal of 32% renewable energy by 2030 and 40% by 2040 has been set by France to implement green energy sources. Also, investments in solar and wind energy are particular and important for France.
- Energy Efficiency: France has put measures to lower energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions to improve energy efficiency in buildings and industries.
- Climate protection: Setting targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions such as carbon pricing.
- Sustainable mobility: Investments in sustainable transportation options such as electric vehicles and public transportation to reduce the environmental impact of transportation.
- Sustainable agriculture: Implementing various policies to promote sustainable agriculture, organic farming, and biodiversity to reduce the environmental impact of food production.
- Environmental protection: Various policies implemented to protect its natural heritage by promoting biodiversity and fighting against pollution.
The policies and initiatives show the green path led by France in its sustainability efforts to promote more environmental benefits, to emerge as a global lead along with its neighboring EU countries.
Source: IEA, European Commissions