ChatGPT is a chatbot, also known as the Generative Pre-trained Transformer. It was launched as a prototype by OpenAI on November 30, 2022. It is based on the GPT-3 large language model family. It can interact with humans in a smooth conversation to solve any sort of problem.
It is built with both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques. After the launch of ChatGPT, OpenAI was valued at $29 billion. Using Reinforcement Learning with Human Feedback, ChatGPT learns how to obey instructions and provide acceptable responses to people.GPT-3.5 was trained on enormous volumes of code-related data and knowledge from the internet, including sources like Reddit debates.
As per Stanford University,
“GPT-3 has 175 billion parameters and was trained on 570 gigabytes of text.” For comparison, its predecessor, GPT-2, was over 100 times smaller at 1.5 billion parameters. This increase in scale drastically changes the behavior of the model: GPT-3 is now able to perform tasks it was not explicitly trained on, like translating sentences from English to French, with few to no training examples. This behavior was mostly absent in GPT-2. Furthermore, for some tasks, GPT-3 outperforms models that were explicitly trained to solve those tasks, although in other tasks it falls short.
A March 2022 research paper titled “Training Language Models to Follow Instructions with Human Feedback” explains why this is a breakthrough approach:
“This work is motivated by our aim to increase the positive impact of large language models by training them to do what a given set of humans want them to do.” By default, language models optimize the next word prediction objective, which is only a proxy for what we want these models to do. Our results indicate that our techniques hold promise for making language models more helpful, truthful, and harmless. Making language models bigger does not inherently make them better at following a user’s intent. For example, large language models can generate outputs that are untrue, toxic, or simply not helpful to the user. In other words, these models are not aligned with their users.
Advantages of ChatGPT
- ChatGPT is specifically trained for understanding the human intent in a question and providing helpful, truthful, and harmless answers.
- Certain questions can be challenged by the ChatGPT, which can discard the part of the question that is not understandable.
- It has been trained to understand human preferences.
- It is trained to refrain from providing any toxic or harmful responses and avoid unnecessary questions.
Disadvantages of ChatGPT:
- The quality of the answer depends on the quality of the input in the ChatGPT.
- ChatGPT is trained to answer a question in a way that feels right to humans.
- The answers are misleading at times or incorrect in many ways.