The companies based on top Lidar sensors are:-
- Velodyne Lidar was founded in 1983 and is considered one of the pioneers in 3D lidar sensor technology. The company is involved in a wide variety of sensors used especially in automotive, mapping, industrial automation, and more.
- Luminar was founded in 2012 and is mainly based on affordable high-performance Lidar for automotive applications. The company partnered with Volvo and SAIC.
- Innoviz was founded in 2016 and develops high-resolution solid-state lidar for the automotive industry and partnered with BMW and other automakers.
- Aeye was founded in 2013 and is developing a long-range, high-performance Lidar for ADAS and autonomous driving. The sensor combines solid-state lidar, camera, and enhanced software.
- Ouster was founded in 2015 and is focused on high-resolution digital lidar sensors for industrial automation, robotics, and mapping. The sensors are available to be customized and at an affordable price.
- Aeva was founded in 2017 and uses 4D lidar sensors using frequency-modulated continuous wave technology to allow velocity measurement and longer range. The company is focused on autonomous driving applications.
- RoboSense was founded in 2014 and is a Chinese company aiding mechanical and solid-state lidars in autonomous vehicles for affordable high-performance sensors.
- Sense Photonics was founded in 2016 to develop solid-state flash lidar systems with no moving parts and offer high-resolution 3D imaging.
- Cepton was founded in 2016 and used HDM lidar sensors for ADAS and autonomous vehicles with a focus on low cost.
- Baraja is an Australian company founded in 2016 to develop unique Spectrum-Scan lidar technology such as prism-like optics.
- Hesai was founded in 2014 and is a Chinese company developing hybrid solid-state lidars with an aim of low cost.
- LeiShen was founded in 2018 and is a Chinese startup, developing low-cost MEMS-based lidar sensors for autonomous vehicles.
- Phantom Intelligence was founded in 2015 and developed Nova lidar sensors optimized for ADAS and autonomous driving applications.
- LeddarTech was founded in 2017 offering 2D and 3D flash lidars in automotive, drones, and industrial sensing.
- Quanergy was founded in 2012 and aims to build low-cost solid-state S3 lidar sensors for mapping, security, and industrial automation.
The lidar industry and innovative startups are growing rapidly with diversified opportunities for high-quality low-cost, or even compact design. The technology is promising to enable smart solutions for the environment as well as for the industries.