The major psychological facts about digital technology are:
- The content of digital technology can be addictive due to constant stimulation and novelty, which trigger the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with reward and pleasure. Well, we know the strong craving generated by the technology and experience withdrawal symptoms when it is not in use.
- A strong notion of social isolation has been observed among people who are dealing with more digital technology daily. Even though it supports people in staying connected with others, spending too much time online increases social isolation more than its real purpose-solving skills. It also impacts real-world relationships. This is especially true for adolescents, who still need to develop social skills.
- As per expert study opinions, excessive use of social media and other digital technologies can lead to major mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and sleep problems. The major reasons cited are online comparison of oneself to others, the addictive nature of digital technology, and the disruption of sleep patterns by screen time.
- A strong way to manipulate people with misinformation and propaganda. Without proper knowledge, people can get used to arousing their emotions. Even by using online activity, personalized ads can be used to target customers and manipulate their choices.
- Cyberbullying is also a well-known form of online behavior and culture that is unique to the online environment. Through various platforms, serious consequences have been seen, victimizing the target with low self-esteem, depression, or suicide.
Despite the negative psychological factors, positive psychological benefits cannot be denied.
- Social support can be enhanced by people staying connected with friends and family members, joining online communities, and meeting people with shared interests.
- Self-expression is promoted by creating and sharing creative content such as music, art, and writing. It also provides an individual platform to grow your market independently, rather than depending on an organization.
- Digital technologies also enhance the learning experience with creative expression such as creating presentations, collaborating on various projects, and exploring new ideas.
- Digital technologies also improve mental health with the use of resources such as tracking mood and symptoms, connecting with mental health professionals, tracking anxiety and depression symptoms, and coping mechanisms.
- Digital citizenship is the ability to use digital technology responsibly, ethically, and safely, such as through critical thinking, digital literacy, and online etiquette.